How to Prepare Your Home for Hurricane Season
Hurricane season can be brutal for Houstonians. Even more brutal is repairing damage to your home after the storm hits. It can feel devastating and frustrating or invoke fear if more wind and rain are on their way. There are things you can do now to prepare your home for the intensity of hurricanes so that you significantly reduce the risk of damage. If you have questions about the condition of your roof or windows, you can contact Alliance Roofing for a free quote today. We want you and your home to be safe this hurricane season. Take the necessary precautions and make sure that your windows, shingles, and roof are ready to withstand the storms we’re sure to face.
Tips for Preparing Your Doors and Windows:
- Make sure shutters are secured properly
- Install hurricane-resistant doors
- Make sure all entry doors have three hinges and a deadbolt lock with a minimum one-inch bolt throw length
- With double-entry doors, secure the inactive door with head and foot bolts that extend through the door header and into the subfloor
- Be sure the door framing is secure
- Verify that patio doors are made with tempered glass
Tips for Preparing Your Roof:
- Take a glance at your roof and identify any broken, loose, or missing shingles
- Ask a professional to anchor the soffits (exposed siding under the roof rafters) to your home
- Replace broken or missing shingles
- Consider installing a new roof
Why a New Roof is the Best Hurricane Protection
If you were going on a cross-country road trip and knew your tires were on their last leg, wouldn’t you take care of the issue before it became an even bigger problem? Replacing your tires before your trip gives you more confidence as you drive and minimizes the potential for a blowout or flat miles down the road. The same is true for your home. Rather than waiting for the storm to destroy your roof, take care of the problem now. If you know that your roof is at the end of its life, perhaps there is no better time to replace it. Every year, we have at least one client who needs us to install emergency tarps to prevent further damage while waiting for a new roof installation. To prevent this from happening, install a new, durable roof that has proven to perform extremely well against weather.
If it’s time to fortify your home before hurricane season, contact us at Alliance Roofing LLC. Request a free quote on window installation, a roof repair, or a roof replacement.